Rules & Code of Practice
All members must abide by the Rules and Code of Practice set by Hu Long Temple – School of Shaolin Kung Fu & Qi Gong. Failure to adhere to these rules and code of practice may result in termination of a student’s membership and insurance with Hu Long Temple and the BCCMA.
Refer to your teacher(s) as ‘Shifu’.
- Always respect your Shifu, Teachers, Elders, family, friends, and any member of the Shaolin family.
- When a Shifu / Teacher addresses you, or you are addressing them, bow with respect. Listen patiently and do not interject or talk to others whilst they are speaking.
- If your Shifu is teaching somebody during a class and if you have any questions, you should seek advice from the most senior student until your Shifu is available for you to speak to.
- Always respect the training equipment, regardless of who owns it.
- Always respect the rights, dignity and worth of all participants and officials concerned with Martial Arts.
- Always respect our culture and our training.
- Smoking, drinking alcohol or taking illegal substances or performance-enhancing substances are not allowed. If you have taken any prescription medication, let your Shifu know.
- Do not swear or use inappropriate / offensive language.
- Do not laugh at, taunt or intimidate others during class. Bullying will not be tolerated.
- Do not use your training for anything other than genuine self-defence.
- All members must abide by the dress code. Clean and correct uniform must be worn at all times; a Hu Long Temple or UK Shaolin Temple t-shirt, black training trousers and training shoes. If you need any items of uniform, please let us know.
- Show good self-discipline and be punctual for all activities arranged by Hu Long Temple. If you know you cannot make it or you are running late, let your Shifu know by phone, text or email. Not only is this courteous but this is also part of Martial etiquette, ‘Wu De’.
- If you need a drink or need to leave the room, bow to your Shifu and walk around the edge of the hall, do not simply walk across the hall in case an accident occurs.
- Please turn your mobile phone off when you enter the training hall.
- No jewellery can be worn during training sessions. This also includes wedding/engagement/commitment rings and body piercings especially for Sanda training. If you are unsure, please ask.
- Clean fully protective equipment must be worn during Sanda sparring unless otherwise stated. This includes; gum-shield, groin-guard, gloves, body armour, shin pads and head guard. If you need to purchase protective equipment, please let us know.
- When sparring or during any activity, and Shifu, a senior student, or your partner requests you to stop. You must stop immediately. Continuing is disrespectful and it may also cause severe injury.
- All children under 18 should not enter the training hall without their parent/carer and at least two Hu Long Temple members present.
- If you are aware of any current or previous injuries and/or medical conditions, you must let your Shifu know prior to the class beginning.
- If an accident occurs, let your Shifu know immediately. Do not hesitate, even if they are busy.
- If you feel light-headed or unwell during training, let your Shifu or a senior student know and sit down immediately. Do not carry on training, or leave the training hall without telling anyone in case an accident occurs. Hu Long Temple staff and students are First Aid trained and will assist you.
- You must ensure you purchase your British Council for Chinese Marital Arts (BCCMA) insurance through us by your fourth lesson. You will not be able to train with Hu Long Temple unless you are covered by their insurance which can only be obtained directly through Hu Long Temple.
- A student should not purchase an official martial arts training weapon unless they are given consent by the Headmaster of Hu Long Temple, and if under 18, their parents/carers.
- When practising with weapons ensure you are doing so in a safe space and you are not going to injure yourself or others. Do not pretend to attack someone or be careless with weapons. Ensure that your insurance and license are with you when purchasing or practising with weapons, and that your Hu Long Temple logo is clearly visible on a t-shirt or jumper. If you wish to practise training with weapons in a public place, make sure you contact the local council and police to notify them of what you will be doing.